First Drawing the Line
- What do you do when IVF doesn’t work?
- How do you decide when to stop?
- And how do you come to terms with life afterwards?
These are the questions I discussed with Charlotte Smith when she and Anne-Marie Bullock the Producer of the BBC Radio 4 Programme Drawing the Line: When IVF doesn’t work, came to my house to record my contribution.
When I agreed to be interviewed I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, and I couldn’t be happier with it.
The media generally give the impression that IVF is straightforward, and this programme gives the real view, it shows through real, hard hitting examples just how hard it is both physically and mentally. The programme is thoughtful and sensitive and you couldn’t fail but to be moved by it.
I feel that it should be listened to by all women going through IVF, well all women probably because it’s only by listening to this that they’ll understand what we’ve been through. So if your family or friends are having difficulty understanding your experience, send them this link, then they will.
Next Woman’s Hour!
I was delighted that Woman’s Hour picked up the topic and my husband, Roger and I recorded an interview with Jenni Murray. In it we spoke about how we came to terms with our life afterwards, including how helpful being a member of MTL has been to us.
You can listen to Woman’s Hour below (we’re 8.30 minutes in) & here we are in the recording studio (cupboard!).
I hoped that speaking out would make a difference, that it would help some people and it appears that it has. Here’s a small selection of the comments I’ve received.
And then the Woman’s Hour phone in
On Monday 1st June Woman’s hour had a phone in which you can listen to below. I thought it was helpful but maybe had too many happy endings.
I was honoured to be chosen to contribute to both programmes and I’m pleased that they showed a more realistic view of what it’s like to go though IVF.
Too often the media gives the impression that you can go and have IVF and all will be well, but as you know it’s not always like that. And it was good to be able to demonstrate that being childless can be Okay.
In my view the phone in had too many ‘never give up’ callers, but overall the BBC should be congratulated for realistic programme making and starting to break the taboo around talking about infertility and the reality of IVF success rates.
I know how hard it is to go through IVF; and I am pleased to have had this opportunity to explain to the world that:
- Time will only heal you so much – you need to take positive action to heal your grief and sadness.
- It is hard to do this on your own – working with someone who has been where you are and knows the way out makes the journey so much easier.
And most of all, you can have a positive life. You don’t have to hide, and if you take action to find support you can become the beautiful butterfly that’s inside you.
In both programmes I said that childlessness has proved to be my biggest gift because without it I wouldn’t be enjoying the wonderful life that I now have.
If I can say that, you can too.
Here’s what others thought
Bionews reviewed the series of programmes, you can read what they say here.
What did you think?
If you listened, what are your thoughts on the programmes? I’d love to hear below.
The work I’ve done means that I can say that I have have a positive life. If you want to say that but it’s too hard right now, how about booking a complimentary session via my online diary and spend 20 to 30 minutes getting clarity on how we can work together to create a life you love.
This is what the BBC says about Drawing the Line. ‘Around 50,000 women go for IVF treatment in a year. For them and their partners it offers the hope of having a baby where natural means have failed. But, on average, only 25% of cycles result in a live birth. So what happens to the couples and individuals in the other 75% of cases that haven’t worked?
With many fertility treatments now on offer and statistics on clinics’ success rates available, couples often feel they should try everything possible to increase their chances of having a baby. Yet when IVF keeps failing, the cost and sense of grief with each cycle can be overwhelming. But, how do you choose to stop when, in theory, the next cycle could result in that long-dreamed of baby?
The world of IVF has been called ‘a market in hope’ by Lisa Jardine, ex-chair of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, who says extensive media coverage of the successes makes us believe it’s possible for everyone – but in reality people should be informed of its potential to deliver grief and a sense of failure as well as success.
Charlotte Smith talks to those who’ve experienced repeated IVF failure, and asks them at what point they made the decision to say ‘enough is enough’ and how that impacted on their lives and relationships.’ Presented by Charlotte Smith. Produced in Bristol by Anne-Marie Bullock.